Friday, February 14, 2014

Wedding Woes (A Valentine's Day Post)

My wedding day was one of the most memorable days of my life. It was beautiful. It was full of happiness and love and laughter and family... It was also chaotic. Most people say the same about theirs right? Maybe, but I mean... Mine was full on CHAOTIC! From the moment I woke up, everything went awry. Let me try my best to set the stage for you all:
Ok, so first of all, I think I should start off by admitting that I am THE biggest procrastinator you will ever meet in your life. I like to rationalize that I work best under pressure, but if I'm honest with myself, and you all... it's just an excuse to justify myself each time. So, in light of this gift of waiting until the last minute, I wrote my vows at approximately 3am the morning of my wedding. (I know...very risky!) When I woke up-- if I ever really went to sleep that night with all the fluttering in my stomach-- my house was filled with a bunch of loud Puerto Ricans trying to appear calm. (impossible!With a mixture of fatigue and overwhelming excitement, I vowed that nothing would interrupt the joy I felt on this special day.

The smell of steak filled the house, and I knew that my dad was doing what he does best-- making breakfast! As I devoured those steak and eggs (no nerves could ever keep me from eating...ever), the background noise was the sound of my mom cursing my dad out because her egg yokes were overcooked... or something equally ridiculous. Now before I continue sharing the occurrences of this day, I feel like I need to prevent you from getting the wrong idea. (I also want to prevent an ass-whupping, as my mom reads my blog)




Disclaimer: My mom was the BEST support during the entire wedding planning process. She is a nurse, and so even under the most trying of situations, she is usually the most levelheaded person I know --until July 3, 2010-- when she became completely undone and transformed into the biggest psychopath ever. (sorry ma!)



Ok so to try and condense this, I'll list ONLY 5 crazy pre-wedding ceremony events:


1-- The Freakin' Favors: 
My mom & I made DIY party favors-- CDs with songs that Mike and I chose to describe our relationship since we both share a love for music. On the morning of the wedding, I decided to play one to set the mood while getting my hair done. Drum roll please....the CD was blank!!! We forgot to burn the playlist on almost half of the favors. Too late! I just laughed, and we ended up putting all of the CD's, both blank and finished, out on the table for guests and never said a thing. So if you're reading this, and you were one of our guests who ended up with a blank CD, at least the pictures on the front cover were nice! haha! (also, I still have a few extras if you'd like...4 years later)


2-- Hair Hell: 
My hairstylist couldn't get my hair to look the way she did during our trial run (something about my hair being TOO clean). My aunt became frustrated with her and cursed her out. Like full-on cursed her out. If I remember correctly, she said something along the lines of "F%&#ing get it together and do my niece's hair the way she wants it!" The poor woman looked like she was going to cry! I'll admit, I was beyond grateful for my aunt coming to my rescue though because no bride wants to walk down the aisle in a hairstyle she hates. 

(Thanks Titi! Most of my wedding wouldn't have gone as smoothly without you --or most of my life for that matter-- Remember the Bacardi in the water bottle incident when I was 15? You've always been my lifesaver! Haha)


3-- BFFs, Beaches & Blisters: 
My best friend decided to go to the beach and get sun poisoning days before my wedding. She was one of my bridesmaids, and ended up with a huge blister on her lip for the wedding photos. (Oh, Cosita!)


4-- Car Crisis: 
I chose a scenic location that was about a 2 hour drive from the concrete jungle. I have a hispanic family, so I prepared for latenesses by making the invitation time two hours before I actually intended on walking down the aisle. (I know, brilliant, right!?) I loved my venue! (the website just doesn't do it justice!
Well our wedding was on a Fourth of July weekend. There was traffic galore... and could you believe we got into a car accident?! As if that wasn't enough, my mom started cursing my dad out for the umpteenth time... when for once, it wasn't his fault (refer to the Disclaimer). My aunt was tired of the arguing --again, came to my defense-- & cursed both of my parents out while hysterically crying. My sister and I shared sideways glances and smirks throughout the ride. Everyone remained silent for the remainder of our travel, with the exception of the delightful sounds of one of my closest friends throwing up the whole two hours. I had to hold her hair back as she gagged her life away into a plastic bag.


5-- Subtle Squabbles: 
At the wedding, there were unspoken tensions between this person and that person... dirty looks flying from this side of the room to that side of the room... (Please tell me I'm not the only one with silly family drama? haha)



The list could go on for days.. We ended up with ZERO pictures with my grandmother and my Padrino, two of the most influential people in my life. I missed the Ice-Cream Bar that I was SO looking forward to. My flower girls sat through the ceremony eating the rose petals from their baskets (There's video proof of this). It was only the hottest day of the year, and I was sweating profusely under that dress.

I couldn't make these things up even if I wanted to!  

A real bridezilla would have flipped out.

I know that people often get the wrong idea about me... girlie-girl? high maintenance? materialistic? (Far from it!) Yes, I like nice stuff, but let's just say, I bought the first dress I tried on, picked the first venue I saw in the middle of nowhere, chose the first caterer we called, decided on the first bouquet my florist created, and ordered the first cake we tasted. I mean, who cares about those little details? I didn't... but everything came out BEAUTIFUL! (at least Mike and I thought so...and that's all that really matters

All the things that went wrong on our wedding day made it all the more memorable, and we have so much to look back and laugh at!





Amidst the chaos of my pre-wedding ceremony experiences, I had no time to be angry at the circumstances around me because I was too busy looking forward to marrying the love of my life. I was about to marry the man that passionately (& very PATIENTLY) pursued me. I was about to marry my best friend. When you live in love...with your heart set on something you are passionate about...with your eyes fixed on a prize...the storms of life around you don't manage to shake you. You stand firm and continue to experience joy through it all. Joy is not circumstantial. When you live with the expectation of experiencing love, the world can fall apart around you, and you will be okay throughout the process. Life has continued to throw it's curve balls, we have experienced multiple chaotic moments over the past 4 years, and yet nothing but good has resulted from each of these trying experiences. 

















So today --on Valentine's Day-- I wanted to share my crazy wedding day experiences with you all-- to encourage you that if your life is upside-down right now, everything seems all wrong, and things aren't going as you expected it to... Don't let your circumstances steal your joy. Don't let the craziness happening around you make you crazy. Don't let the mishaps in life make you bitter. Please continue to live with the anticipation of love! You may have to walk down a long road of chaos, but when you finally arrive, you'll have so much to look back and laugh at!

3 comments:

  1. Obsessed! I can read your blogs alllll day! I hate to read, and you just make me love it.. please write a book! This post had me in joyful tears and I'm glad I took the time out to read it with Jake screaming/crying and whining at my leg. Lol Amazing Bradar! Miss you!
    -Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I got a finished CD.. :D which I listen to all the time in the car! Lol
    -Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Now I feel like I was there! Lol. I really enjoyed reading it. Very funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete