Saturday, February 1, 2014

A "Goofy" Success

Have you ever just sucked really badly at something? I mean, you try your hardest but still can't seem to get it right? Me neither, I'm good at everything. (Kidding guys, kidding) Some people pay for lessons, but no training seems to improve their ability to sing, or dance, or cook. It's the most frustrating thing --isn't it?-- when you really attempt to accomplish something, and it just doesn't come easily. 


Two weeks ago, my cousins and I decided to snowboard for the very first time in the Poconos. At the end of our 90 minute lesson, we rode that magic carpet up the bunny slope and I found out that....I suck at snowboarding! I would like to consider myself the athletic type -- or at least, the daring type. I'll try anything once. The problem is, I am also extremely competitive. I'm not even content with competing against people, so much as I enjoy competing against myself. I like to do things well --and when I can't-- I will not relent until I get it right. That wasn't the case 2 weeks ago though. 

My first attempt down the slope, I fell and hurt my tailbone so badly, it left a bruise that lasted over a week. That didn't stop me. I rode my bruised behind right back up that slope with my cousins who seemed to breeze their way down the mountain with ease. My second attempt, I was fearful of landing on my backside again, so when I felt myself losing balance, I dove face forward-- scraping my nose, upper lip, and chin. (No I wasn't wearing snowboarding goggles) You think that would have kept me down? Absolutely NOT! On my third and final try, I fell backwards again and hit the back of my head so hard on what felt like ice. (No, I wasn't wearing a helmet either) That was it for me. I unstrapped my board and walked down the slope --frustrated and defeated-- and in a whole lot of pain!



It is now two weeks later, and I find myself in Colorado on a work trip trying again. My boss is an avid snowboarder. During our previous trips up to the mountains, I was unable to accompany him, as I was recovering from a fractured foot. This time, there was no excuse for me not to join him. How could I turn down the opportunity to glide (or fall) down the Rocky Mountains? So.. terrified, I strapped on those moon-boot looking things, secured my helmet, lowered my goggles, and joined a group of 4 others for another lesson. Turns out, I caught on really quickly after learning that I have what you call "a goofy" stance. (But of course) All that really means is that I ride with my right foot forward on the board, when commonly most people ride in the opposite stance direction. It's comparable to which hand you prefer to write with. If you are a righty, it is usually very difficult to write with your left hand well. So for two weeks I thought I sucked at snowboarding, and the reality was that although I was doing it "the right way", it wasn't the right way for me...

You may find yourself in a very similar position --frustrated and defeated...and maybe even in a lot of pain-- because no matter how hard you try you just can't seem to get it right. Now, I'm not talking about snowboarding anymore. Maybe you are struggling with an addiction or a habit. Maybe you have experienced a heartbreak, and refuse to allow yourself to be vulnerable enough to love again. Maybe you are trying to be a better parent or spouse or student. Maybe you are trying to do things like everyone else who seems to be breezing through things that you are struggling with, and you keep stumbling backwards or falling on your face. You have two options-- 1) give up trying because hey, you've already tried so hard --or 2) get off your bruised behind and try again another way. Clearly, doing things the way you're doing them isn't producing any results. It may be uncomfortable at first, or may even seem "goofy", but how about attempting to do things differently? Be committed to make adjustments that will positively impact your life, no matter how difficult it feels at first. Albert Einstein said that "insanity is when you do something over and over again and expect different results." 

Not everything is going to come easily to you -- and maybe you have to make an extra effort to get things right. You are not like everyone else. You are uniquely created, with different quirks, talents and abilities. If you're able to properly equip yourself, pace yourself, and resolve to tackle any challenge with determination and tenacity -- it is more than likely that you will succeed. The question is, do you want to? 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jazzy for sharing your experience and the powerful lesson it taught you and now me. I've always loved that about you, your resilience.

    ReplyDelete