Friday, February 7, 2014

Attitudes & Altitudes




"Your ATTITUDE determines your ALTITUDE." 

I teach High School students. Weekly, I post a quote on the board that my kids and I can reflect on for inspiration and encouragement. This particular quote has found itself on our dry erase board multiple times during the last two years. "Your attitude determines your altitude." It's a solid quote though, no? How high you go... how successful you are... how much you're able to overcome in life... is very much dependent on your attitude. It's dependent on how you express your thoughts, your emotions and your perspectives. The way you respond to challenges will distinguish the weak from the strong. Essentially, it's saying that if you think negatively and respond poorly to any given situation, it is pretty doubtful that you will make it far in life. However, if you take the punches life throws at you in stride, it will propel you into a hopeful future. 

Let's be real though. Sometimes those punches hit hard, and you're just about knocked out. Sometimes you're hit with a sucker punch --you know-- the ones you weren't expecting; the ones you weren't ready for. Sometimes temptations arise and things happen that you just weren't prepared to deal with the way you should have-- or the way you normally would have if you knew it were coming; if only you'd been prepared. That'll surely bring out some attitudes in you that are just too complicated to deal with appropriately.


I've needed a major attitude adjustment lately. During last week's trip up in the mountains of Colorado, I found that my ALTITUDE shifted my ATTITUDE. Being at an elevation of 10,000 ft helped me gain a fresh perspective in areas of my life that I may not have had the proper attitude about. My time away from the routine of my everyday life helped shift perspectives, revive dormant dreams, and refresh my faith. 

Are you struggling with an attitude that may limit you from growth? Take a moment to breathe. Take some time away if you can. Take a day for yourself and break out of your usual daily routines. Upon return, your situation may not change, but your attitude in the midst of it all may!

If you're an introvert...find some alone time. Read that book you've been meaning to read. Pray. If you're an extrovert, and are refreshed by having others around you...go out to eat with friends. Talk with someone who can speak life into you. 

Relax.    Reflect.    Refocus. 

...And watch how your attitude begins to shift!
...And watch how you begin to soar!

No comments:

Post a Comment