Monday, May 26, 2014

"Dad, I want water!"

Is there a childhood story that your parents love to share about you? It's like their default, go-to story whenever they tell anyone about what you were like as a kid. You don't even really remember it, but your mind has webbed together this "memory" based on THEIR recollections? 

Well, my parents love to tell the story of how much I hated going to bed at night as a child. I wasn't scared of the dark or anything... let me just clarify that! I was strong-willed. I was persistent. I was a royal pain-in-the-ass. (Not much has changed, I know) I simply wanted to stay up as long as I possibly could. I would beg them to read stories to me or I'd insist on telling them stories. When that didn't work, I would scream out "Dad, I want water!" Which, of course, he would bring to me...every time! (daddy's girl problems) Apparently, 5 minutes later, I would scream out "Dad, I gotta pee!

I mean when my parents tell this story, it cracks them up. They cut each other off and finish each other's sentences whilst sharing. (Insert the 'my-parents-are-annoying Eye Roll' here)

Why did I want to stay up so badly, when I now value every second of my beauty sleep? As I struggle to stay up to finish my papers right now, I wish I were that six year old again. The six year old who did not want to go to sleep because she thought "Today was so great, I don't want it to end!When I did go to sleep, it was with much reluctance and with much anticipation of the day ahead of me... that was sure to be better than the day before.

Oh, the childlike mentality!

Isn't that the mentality Jesus wanted us to have?
"I’m telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you’re not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like a child, will rank high in God’s kingdom(Matthew 18:3 MSG).

Kids often try and stay up past their bedtime. They want to tell their daddy a story. They don't hesitate to ask for what they need. They have no worries about disclosing their plans for tomorrow. They are quick to present all of their requests to their father. We should do the same. 

Instead, we multiply our troubles by rehearsing them in our heads at night. We fret about the past and worry about our future. We want today to end in hopes of a better tomorrow. 

Present all of your grievances to your heavenly father tonight, and bask in the excitement that tomorrow is a new day... full of possibility...full of hope...full of wonder!

Weeping may last through the night, 

but joy comes with the morning. 
Psalm 30:5


In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,

    make me dwell in safety. 

Psalm 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment